Sunday, August 23, 2009

Women's retreat






This weekend was the women's retreat with my church and it went so well...thank you Jesus! It was three days of all Spanish, so I was a little nervous. Not so much about the Spanish as I was the making friends part. I really only knew one girl and not very well at that. Sometimes when I get nervous, I don't speak very well in Spanish (well, I never speak that well, but worse than usual). My Spanish did fine though. I did find myself rather quiet and just listening...which was so good for me. I found it hard to get a word in sometimes and/or wanted to spare myself the struggle/humiliation of speaking up :). It's hard to understand pretty much everything and then answer like a 2 year old. lol but it went so well. God got my confidence up before I left because the usually semi-crabby lady at the bank smiled at me and told me that I have finally learned Spanish. So I went feeling alittle confident and it was great. I learned a lot, made some new friends and practiced. It was great :) I did say a lot of stupid stuff...but I do that in both languages. The girls thought it was hysterical to teach me new ridiculous words and practice random words they know in English. That's always interesting, especially when they ask me more "colloquial" terms for different body parts. Okay...I'm hesitant to tell you this story, but it made me laugh out loud, so I think I will. So right before a service started, one of my friends was talking about words in English she knew and actually asked me when she should use the word "boobies." I absolutely lost it. That word with a Latino accent in a church service sent me over the edge. I was dying laughing. I told her to practically never use the word. Maybe it's juvenile, but I giggled to myself about that one for a while. Anyway, now that I sound like a middle schooler laughing about saying private words, I'm signing off. Thanks for your prayers regarding the retreat! God bless!

No comments: