Sunday, October 18, 2009

First Basketball game

Coming back from two weekends outside of San Jose has been exhausting. Life hasn't been all that peachy the last few weeks, but God is always faithful. He is once again reminding me that depending on Him is the only way. Prayers would be much appreciated :) Apart from that, here is a funny conversation for you about our most recent basketball game. We show up at this school that is virtually empty and that is also rumored to be the best around. I have to admit, some (very little) dramatization was added ;):

Me: Hi, we're here...is your team here?
Coach: Yes they're here...is this your team?
Me: Yes, where is the locker room?
Coach: All of them?
Me: Yes....
Coach: They're kind of small.
Me: I realize that. Where is the locker room again?
(interruption) Maug (my team member): Coach! They have a wood floor!
Me: I'm talking. Stop drooling on the floor, someone has to clean that up. Go to the locker room.
Maug: Where?
Me (to the coach): Where did you say that locker room was?
Coach: Over there...but I wish you would have told me your team was young.
Me: (to my players) boys! stop staring in wonder and go change. (to coach: I did tell you my team was young and small at least three times.
Coach: Oh well I just won't play my starters.
Me: Yah, I suggested that the first time we talked.
My team: Wow this gym is amazing! We're going to get killed!
Me: Shutup and go change.
Coach: But I didn't realize...
Me: Now you know.
Coach: Well I don't know if you know this but we have this tournament going on right now. We're hosting all the best teams from Central America.
Me: I think I might go find that locker room.

Yah...we lost. No need to report the score...but I was proud of those boys. They had fun and they had such a good attitude about it. It's not easy to play the best school your first game, but they were awesome about it. So, our epic season has started and we're doing the best we can. More to come after our next game :)

No comments: