Saturday, February 27, 2010

Eating habits...

So I don't have anything super exciting to write about this weekend...so I thought I would describe some of our eating habits...because well they can be funny. Plus, that is a top ten question whenever people ask about me living in Costa Rica. No I do not eat monkey or alligator on a regular basis...so don't get to excited, but there are some interesting things. We mainly eat beans, rice, fruits and vegetables. Of course we alway import peanut butter. No we don't eat Mexican food. Whenever I go back to the States everyone is always so surprised that I want to eat Mexican...thinking we eat that everyday, but we don't (given, the general consensus that Costa Rica is an island and that we speak Mexican here too- lol Costa Rica is not Puerto Rico, we're in Central America and we speak Spanish...no Mexican). Costa Rican food is much more bland. Mostly vegetables, rice and beans. They don't even eat salsa really. I'm sure I eat at least 10 tortillas with refried beans in them a week. We do buy some meat...but we ration it out. We try to only eat meat every other day since it is so expensive. Anyway, in the rich area of San Jose (where any American business men or diplomats live), there are a few chain restaurants. Big news-we just got an Applebee's. Anyway, there is a TGI Fridays, which is by far one of my fav. restuarants in the U.S. We've never been there here because it is expensive, but last night Kate and I went...celebrating our belated Valentine's Day and well...it counted for every other holiday that we'll ever spend together once we realized how much a cheeseburger was. It seriously almost took up my whole food budget for the week. But seriously, the best cheeseburger I've ever had in my life. Since we don't eat much meat and probably honestly don't always eat the way we should because we are cheap...it was amazing. Given, my body protested today and my stomach is sickish for having that foreign food in there...but it was so worth it. Changed my life :) But today we're back to eating bean tortillas and guacamole. yummm...

Ps. Yuck...just found out. Please pray for the Chileans as they just experienced an 8.8 earthquake. That is amazingly strong. Earthquakes scare me lot especially since CR has many of them.

No comments: