Sunday, March 7, 2010

My job :)

This week has been great. I honestly can't believe that it is already March 7. I feel like life is just flying by. One of the most exciting things about this week was working with one of my students. Without giving too many details about him...just know that he struggles with interacting with people and doesn't communicate. I've been working so hard with him and on Friday we broke out a camera and a video camera and he totally started interacting with us (Eden and I). It was wonderful. I've included some of the pictures. Other highlights of the week....we had a party here at our apartment. Here is a picture of me and some of our Tico friends. I'm not sure what Albin is doing :) It's just been a good weekend with friends. We had a 4.4 earthquake that night too. Thankfully there it was short and not very strong...so no damage was done. I did spend some time on the phone yesterday trying to figure out why we haven't been able to connect to the internet. What they do here is throw a bill into your mailbox or in our case, they just roll it up and throw it as far through our barred garage as they can. So we got our internet bill and it said it had been paid. You must take your bill to the bank or grocery store to pay it. I went just in case to see if I needed to pay it. The bill wasn't in the system, so I didn't pay it. Anyway, so the internet goes out and I call. I explain to the lady all that happened and she just matter-of-factly says, "you didn't pay." I know this, and I try to explain. She says, "But still you didn't pay. How do you figure to have internet if you don't pay your bills?" Ugh. I tried to blame it on the grocery store. Apparently that doesn't work. Now she probably thinks I'm a dumb gringa that doesn't pay her bills. Fail. And the last thing, I just thought this was cute. Today in church we sang a song about a buffalo. LOL Kate wasn't there...so I didn't have anyone to laugh about it with. To Costa Ricans a buffalo signifies strength and power...so they use that illustration a lot. I don't even think there are buffalo here. Anyway the whole song was like "You will make me like the buufffalllloo" (obviously in Spanish). It was really dramatic and drawn out and I was laughing hysterically. My Tico friend just kept looking at me but I couldn't explain how I couldn't imagine singing about how I want to be like a buffalo at my church at home (mostly because I don't want to be compared to a large, hairy animal). hehe I'm going to recommend it though when I get home. Thanks for reading :)

No comments: