1. I made empanadas (kinda like a Latin American calzone...we eat them a lot) last night...they are wonderful. If you want the recipe, I would be glad to give it to you. I was so proud of myself. :)
2. Today we were walking to the store and all of the sudden we are hearing these loud kissing noises behind us. We turn around and there is this man on a bike making these ridiculously obnoxious kissing noises at us. He is shamelessy staring at us and making these noises. He passes us and continues to look back nearly running into a van parked on the street. I was giving him the dirtiest look ever...and then I said something I probably shouldn't have, but I said I hoped he fell off his bike since he wasn't watching the road. lol I forgot he couldn't understand me anyway. lol oh well. We all kinda wished he had ran into that parked van. :)
3. This old man came up to me in the store and told me something. lol there is no concept of personal space here, so he was all up in my space. He told me something and I didn't understand one of the words. So I asked again and I gathered that he said that "I was a very ______." I didn't know what the last words were...and I can't remember them either. I didn't know what he was talking about, so I just said no and laughed. And then he laughed and said, "Well I think you are." lol now the question is...what did he say? We worked on filling the blank for a while...but it could be anything. My favorite choice was ridiculously gorgeous...but he could have said ugly, smelly, stupid...a plethora of things. We may never know. Sad. :)
5 comments:
Hi Sweet Tricia,
Just a quick note to tell you that I love you! It was so nice to hear your voice the other day. I'm glad that you had so much fun on your trip...it looks like it was a beautiful wedding!
I'm also glad to hear that you have adjusted to being back in Costa Rica. Your Culture Day sounds wonderful...please do post pictures when you get a chance! I especially want to see your toga costume...ha! I know your little ones must adore you...what a great teacher. Even if you don't know all the Spanish words yet, the children can tell you love them. And that means everything to them!!
Take care and have a great week! We love you very much!
Aunt Sharon, Uncle Rick, Hayes, and Grace
P.s. I'll take your empanada recipe...yum!
Oh, I forgot to mention...I was at your grandparents house when they heard your phone message. They were SOOOO excited! :)
Hey Tricia,
That man in the store was asking you to order him some chicken breast--ha!
Dad
Hey Tricia! Hope all is well - if you could send me recipes for Empanadas - mucho appreciato (?) Sorry to hear you feel yucky - get better!! - Monica H.
Here is the recipe!!
Shell:
2 cups flour
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 tbsp salt
1/3 cup shortening
1/3 cup ice water
Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
Cut the shortening into the flour as though you were making a pie crust by working it in with your fingertips until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
Sprinkle dough with just enough ice water so that it will just hold together. Knead together briefly and allow to rest, covered about 10 minutes.
Roll dough out on a lightly floured board to circles about 3-4 inches in diameter.
Place a spoonful of empanada filling of your choice on one side of the circle. Moisten the edges of the circle with a small amount of water and fold the dough over the filling to make a half circle. Press the edges together to seal.
Bake at 375 degrees for 15-20 minutes.
Filling:
1 medium sized onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
4 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tomatoes, peeled
2 cups cooked beef, chopped
1/2 cup beef stock
1/4 cup raisins
1 tsp vinegar
1/8 tsp ground cloves
1/8 tsp ground cumin
salt and pepper to taste
Saute onions and garlic in hot oil until translucent.
Add meat, sauté 5 more minutes. Stir in tomatoes, stock and remaining ingredients.
Simmer 30 minutes.
Post a Comment