Saturday, October 11, 2008

Dia de las Culturas!

This week has went well. I recovered from the culture shock and I'm feeling better. Once I got back into things here I started feeling better. It was a crazy week playing catch-up, so I haven't really blogged too much. It all started Monday morning. I went in to take a shower and in the shower was a life-size cardboard David Beckham that had a sign on it that said "Buenas dias mi amor (which means, good morning my love). It scared me to death! Fast forward to Thursday. On Thursday night after school, I realized I had to run back to get a curriculum. Kate asked if I could take Beckham with me because she needed him at school on Friday. So I hauled him to school and I had to walk by this construction sight and all the Ticos were laughing at the dumb American with the life size Beckham. Then, on Friday, we had Culture Day. Basically each class had a country to study. We chose Israel and we decorated our room and learned about Israel for the last several weeks. I had my students dress up like Bible characters (which was adorable). Well, realizing that in kinder, we do it big, I decided to dress up as a Bible character. I busted out a toga (sheet), a head covering and all sorts of random things. It was hilarious. I of course wanted to make a scene, so I walked to school with the girls in that outfit. The construction sight people were rolling. They must think I'm nuts. I like it :). Anyway, so Culture Day was great and the kids were so cute (pictures coming soon). They (ok, we) ate so many cookies, it wasn't even funny. We did activities, visited other rooms, and just ate all day. Everything went well until one student had a minor accident, actually it wasn't minor, it was a major bowel movement accident. Oh it was not good. I'm not even going to go into details. There are two words to describe the situation, "everywhere" and "smelly". Yuck. So yah, we got that all cleaned up and then the craziness was over. The we went to another teacher's house for a sleepover and it was such a blast. We are all different ages, but it was so fun. We stayed up so late and ate tons of food. It was so relaxing and a great time getting to know the other women we work with :) Thank God it's the weekend :)

No comments: