Saturday, August 23, 2008
Day four and pics of our aparment
Hello! Things are still pretty crazy here in Costa Rica, but we're doing well :). We are so exhausted, but good. I've been setting up my classroom and it is finally starting to come together. I will post pictures when it is finished. Today we went to a outdoor fruits and veggies market at 7 am. The sun is completely up around 6am, so that is when the day starts. It goes down around 6 and everyone starts going to bed. Anyway, the market was amazing and the food was so cheap. My dad is leaving tomorrow, so that's when it will really get interesting. It seems like he's a little nervous about our safety. Basically, it is unsafe to be alone much of the time. It is unwise to be out after dark unless you are in a group and there is at least one male present. To get into my apartment alone, you have unlock two different gates and my door. Every house is covered with iron bars with barbed wire at the top. My neighbors (who are studying the language to become missionaries in Ecuador where Jim Elliot worked!) did a short video on youtube to explain the gate process. We live next door to them, so you can kind of see what our outside looks like. It is a little intimidating, but we're just praying that the Lord keeps us safe. I just keep remembering that our lives are in His hands and that the safest place to be is in God's will. :) Despite the barbed wire and iron bars, our aparment is cute. You can see pictures of it on my roommate, Kate's, blogspot by clicking on the word aparment. It is pretty here, though it rains often during the day because it is rainy season. It actually can get pretty chilly here and it doesn't get humid at all. San Jose is in the mountains, so the whole city is bordered by beautiful mountains. There are about 30 earthquakes a day, but you barely ever feel them. It is just so incredibly different than the U.S. Be sure to ask my dad. I think he is ready to go home :) Well, that is all for now!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I have had so much fun reading this. Your language stories are hilarious. Can't wait to give Dad a hard time (I will have to talk to him real loud LOL). Good to hear that things are moving along. Looking forward to hearing more.
Love you.
Wow...It seems like you are in good hands. Your dad will never "hear" the last about his language stories. I will make sure to tease him when I see him. Good luck and I am glad everything is going o.k for you. I will be in my thoughts. Love ya, "Hareball"
Post a Comment