So who knew you would be more nervous for kindergarten the second time around! I was pretty nervous this morning. I attached a picture for you of Kate, Kim, and I on our first days of school! Kim, the one with the long dark hair, is a student teacher from Cedarville. She arrived yesterday. So today was pretty crazy. To be honest, I was so overwhelmed. I only had 14 students show up...I am supposed to have 18...but who knows where they were. Half of them speak little to no English. It was rough. It was so hard to explain everything in two languages and I just struggled. I'm a little embarassed to admit that I was pretty discouraged after only half the day. I guess I just didn't expect the language barrier to be so tough. But after a minor breakdown, I'm feeling better and sort of ready for tomorrow. My kids are so adorable and for the most part are well behaved, it was just hard to think in two languages and then to make both of those languages understandable to 5 year olds. I just prayed a lot and I keep thinking that God won't give me more than I can handle. This is just another one of those times that He is asking me to trust in His strength and depend upon Him. lol I thought I had learned that lesson, but clearly we need to revisit it :). But overall, I'm still really excited and loving this situation. My brain just hurts. Everything is just so different here. I mean, how many teachers in the states do you see that are cheering for her kindergarteners because they remembered to throw their used toilet paper in the garbage can rather than the toilet??? (yes I did that today). ps. no flushing toilet paper in CR. And how many teachers in the states team teach with another teacher that speaks no English? And how many teachers have 7 little ticos running around and the only thing they can say is "bathroom" in English? lol some things you just can't prepare for!! But I'm thankful to God for this opportunity and I am thankful that I only have to do this day by day in His strength! lol one thing is for sure, I will have some good stories! My favorite thing is that no matter what language they speak...they all run around yelling, "teacher, teacher" (pronounced "teechir"). lol weird being the actual teacher...I can't believe they let me be in charge of these little people :) Please pray for my competence, confidence, and sanity ;) Love in Christ.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Trish...We are so proud and happy for you. Just think, you'll never have to have a first day of teaching as a career EVER again ;) We miss you and pray for you every day.
Love,
Ryan and Rach
Tricia ... I'm figuring out how to do this blogging stuff so encouragement comes your way quickly!!! Technology shows my age!
FYI - everyone feels overwhelmed their first week at any new job, so please don't feel discouraged!
It can only get BETTER and EASIER :~) And the good news is, I'm pretty sure that not too many teachers in the USA got to walk into their teaching job wearing flip-flops!!! Good job perk! LOL!
I read your AND Kate's blogs every night before bed so we know how to pray . . . you're "IN GOOD HANDS", and HE IS FAITHFUL. Love to see the pictures, "Senorita Wegman"! Your little table desks are so cute and unusual! The bright colors and the beautiful scenery should keep you smiling. We're already starting to set aside funds for our future trip to Costa Rica!!!! Seriously!
Hugs from your FAN CLUB,
Roger and Mary
When Jesus was at sea with His disciples and a storm came up, He responded to their terror by saying, "Why are you fearful, O you of little faith" (Matthew 8:26). He wants us, like them, to believe that our boat won't sink if He's in it with us.
and:
Isaiah 41:10 So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
Love Mom & Dad
Tricia,
I have been reading your post every day, its one of the first things I do every morning. Just set up my account so I could post you a message though today.
Know that you are loved and have many, many people praying for you each and every day. Our Lord is faithful and will not fail you!
Went and watched your dad and the team play ball last night and got to spend time with your mom which is always enjoyable and encouraging to me. Sending prayers and good wishes your way.
Julie
Wow, I just really love you all a lot :)
Post a Comment