Tuesday, August 26, 2008

pics of the school






Well, first off, I just want to thank you so much for your emails and comments to me on here. I love it. I appreciate the encouragement and I love the funny stuff. Dad you are killing me with your Spanish comments. You have improved greatly since the last time we saw you. I just remember you mouthing "box" to the waiter, even though we told you mouthing English words doesn't accomplish anything. :) Anyway, I love coming home and reading everything. So nothing too exciting has been going on, we've just been insanely busy with teacher orientation and lesson planning. We met all the other teachers and they are great. The lady I am team teaching with hardly speaks any English, so that should be interesting. I also found out the Kindergarten was the hardest grade to teach at the school because several of the students won't speak any English. LOL can you imagine me trying to explain classroom procedures??? I'll let you know how that goes on Thursday. anyway, I was able to try helado con galletas (cookies and cream ice cream) which was amazing. Kate and I have also been trying out our Tico cookings skills, which are a little shady. If anyone has good, quick and cheap rice recipes...please send them! :) Well nothing else too interesting or funny has happened. Life is pretty funny and so humbling because half of the time we have no clue as to what is going on. You're probably wondering how that differs from my life in the states...but you know what I mean :). anyway, something interesting I do have is pictures. The first is of the outside of our apartments and the rest are of the school and my classroom. Oh...and those of you asking for my address...I can't give you my specific address because they don't have street names. My address is 3 sentences long and it's basically driving directions and says something like my apartment is close to a laundromat and has orange walls. Crazy. Here is the school address:
Sojourn Academy/Rayitos del Sol
C.E.B.I.L.E.APDO 100-2350
San Jose, Costa Rica

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

A yummy recipe for black beans and rice from the book "No Other Gods" by Kelly Minter.

Preheat oven to 325; serves 6 to 8

4 standard-sized cans of black beans
1/2 yellow onion
6 cloves garlic
1 bunch cilantro
8 oz. shredded Monterey Jack cheese (I used cheddar and it tasted great, any mexican cheese will do)
2 c. whole grain brown rice (i used white rice at the last minute because my brown rice was gummy - yech!)
2 avocados
1 jar salsa
1 c. sour cream
1 bag tortilla chips

Heat black beans in a pot over medium-high heat, keeping most of the juice. Chop onion and cilantro, mince garlic, and place all in a saucepan and sauté. After beans have heated for 20 minutes, stir the sautéed ingredients into the black beans. In a separate pot, begin preparing brown rice (follow instructions on bag). Pour black bean concoction into a 13.9 inch pan and add shredded cheese on top, covering extensively. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes at 325 degrees. Serve black bean entrée over the brown rice, having a nice spread of chips, slices of avocado, salsa, extra shredded cheese, and sour cream as toppings.

Binkley's said...

Hey Tricia,
I will be praying for your busy day tomorrow.

Check out www.ricerecipes.org
There are tons of rice recipes there. Anything from Chicken Rice Casserole to Rice Krispie Treats.
Blessings, Mary