Sunday, January 11, 2009

Life as a Tica

So now that I'm living with a Costa Rican family...I'm learning a lot. Not only in Spanish, but in life. It's so funny to learn the differences in culture. I've tried a lot of new foods and went a lot of new places. I'm feeling more and more comfortable as the days go on, so that is good. I'm thankful for that. People always ask how things are different, so here are some differences I've noticed during this week. My "mami" cooks all the time. Today before church, she prepared our soup for lunch for 2 hours. Cooking here takes forever. Everything is from scratch pretty much. The washer is interesting, you actually have to fill it up with a garden hose. And of course there is no dryer...so they iron everything. There are bugs everywhere. It is inevitable in this country. It doesn't botther me all that much, but it's just something to get used to. Not because the house is dirty, but because we have no screens and the doors are always open. the good news is I haven't seen any more big cockroaches...lol sometimes it's better to just turn out the light than actually look around at the floor. :) Another thing, people here love to talk (which is good for me). A small trip to the store may turn into a three hour trip to the store and 5 of your family members houses. Another: you always kiss when you greet people...also there are no real concepts of personal space here. There's lots of love going on down here...really funny. Another thing is that you have to get over germs and being dirty. For example, we went to the open market yesterday and everyone was having us try their fruit. They would just slice some off with their machette and you ate it without it being bleached. lol who knows where that machette has been and who knows what has been touching/eating on that fruit before you were. lol we tried lots of new things including pure sugar cane juice and a random assortment of tropical fruits and vegetables. mmm. The list could go on, but I'll keep you posted. I'm reading this book by Elisabeth Elliot about when she was a missionary in the actual jungle with the Indians and I'm realizing how good I really have it as well. Anyway, that's all for now. Thanks for all the notes about the earthquake. We are safe, but it was pretty bad. So far I think the count is more than 25 dead and 100's injured. Whole towns were destroyed and roads just we sucked into the earth. Please be praying for the many who were devastated in this earthquake. Muchas gracias...adios!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

life as Trica looks pretty cool :o)

Jennifer said...

That germ stuff must be killing your Mom. She was telling me how she is a germaphobe. I know it sends shivers down my back thinking of it too. Especially the bugs. You're a brave girl! I guess if I was in your situation, I'd have to get over it real quick too. Your immune system will be a force to be reckoned with.