
Hola! Well, I'm back in Costa Rica. Thank you for all of you that were praying for safe travels. I arrived safely and dove right into craziness! I moved into my new house. I am going to be living with Costa Ricans for this semester to learn more about the culture and Spanish. First, let me backtrack. I loved being home. Living here has made me appreciate America, my family and my friends so much more. For a brief synopsis: I so enjoyed laying around and watching U.C. basketball and football (minus the loss). I loved throwing t.p. in the toilet. I loved having a waffle party with my family. I loved serving a City Gospel mission and then going to the party at church on New Years. I loved church in English. I loved being with my family and seeing two of my best friends in the whole world. There is a lot more...but mainly I just wanted to say that I loved seeing you all. The best thing about coming back here is that is now summer and there is no rain. Solamente sunshine and it is gorgeous. I love it. Since I've been here, I have overcome some major challenges...lol besides talking with Kate and Kim and my family occasionally, I have only talked in Spanish. My brain hurts. I'm being humbled all over again because you feel like such a child when you don't understand and when you just want to communicate what is going on. This is my family underneath (minus their older son and daughter). I look really tall, lol and I am taller than them, however, I am standing on higher ground (bad choice).

I mean, I can do it decently, but it drives me nuts not being fluent :). Poco a poco (little by little) is what they say. So yesterday I just moved in and stuff. I found two massive cockroaches in my room and after a minor breakdown and pep-talk, I overcame them.

lol I love Costa Rica. Today was great. Me and my Tica mom went walking and bought Coco milk. Some lady just takes a machetti and chops off the top and puts a straw in it for like 50 cents. The milk inside is pretty tasty. Then, we went to church at an awesome church and we sang "How great is our God" in Spanish. That's my favorite. Then we went into the mountains for my Tico dad's birthday. It was absolutely beautiful. The mountains, waterfalls, and rivers were so amazing. At the restaurant, they told me to get the pescado entero, which translates to an entire fish. lol I knew what was coming...and of course as I expected, it was a baked fish with all but the eyes. I've eaten that once before in Israel, so it was good, but the funniest thing was my Tico sister took the crispy tail of the fish, but salt on it and crunched right into it. lol she ate the tail like a potato chip. Interesante!

Then, we drove home and went to this church. Apparently we were in the first city and capital of Costa Rica (it has since been changed), but there was this old church with a lot of history, so they stopped to show me. Outside there were these fountains of flowing water. I had some trouble understanding, but apparently some believe it to be healing water and so people go and drink it and put their feet in it and stuff. I don't know what was going on, but I did end up sticking my hands in and drinking some. lol I need to research what I just did on the internet.

Finally we came home like 5 hours later and I am exhausted. This is long, so I'm going to go, but I did post some fun pics for you! Later!
No comments:
Post a Comment