Sunday, January 25, 2009

The pool (and sweatshirts) in January

This week has went really well. Extremely busy as usual, but fun. The weekends are a alot of fun too. Now that we don't have all the chores of cooking and cleaning all the time, we actually have fun on the weekends. That's a huge blessing. Nothing too exciting has been happening, just doing a lot of everyday life stuff. Saturday was fun, we went to the open market and tried a lot of foods. Then we went to a pool nearby for a little bit, trying to not be so obnoxiously white here :). It's been fairly chilly the last few days, so laying in the sun was great. Then last night we went pretty far away to a place called Escazu. We heard that is where all the rich people live. lol it was a pretty nice area. We went to an actual mall...it seriously looked like one in the states. They had a lot of normal stores from America and there was a lot of English. I was suprised at such a nice place in comparison to where we usually go and shop in my neighborhood. We saw a movie, which was really depressing. The movies here are usually in English with Spanish subtitles, so that was good. But the movie, Seven Pounds, was really disturbing. blah. It's okay, it was only $4 for the ticket. The mall also had a TCBY! Can you believe that? I loved that place in America, but they all shut down near me. I was so excited to eat that ice cream :). Anyway, today we went to church. I love my church. I love that it is Assembly of God. They are so excited about everything. It's great. Today we are going to my "abuela's"(grandma's) house for lunch. That should be fun and a good mental exercise in Spanish. Hopefully I don't do anything too embarassing! Well, that's pretty much all for now. Nothing too interesting. I'm getting used to large cockroaches and eating random foods (with the exception of sopa negra or "black soup"). This soup was the liquid left over from boiling black beans. They fry an egg over easy and put it and the yoke in the bowl, then mix some rice in. It was tasting okay going in to me, but I was not extremely well afterwards. lol I need to remember that black beans need to be eaten in moderation. My family here and my family in the U.S. both thought this was wildly hilarious, but I am still have nightmares ;). lol enough for now. Adios!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

did you get to take the peanut butter with you? That makes everything (almost) okay.