Thursday, September 25, 2008

Rambutan, sushi and peanut butter


Hello! So today was an interesting day. Our day started off a little crazy and I felt really out of sorts. I was praying that God would encourage me and give me energy and the coolest thing happened! My student aide, whom I adore, came in with a huge tub of chunky peanut butter for me. She said her family bought it for me because they knew I loved pb and because it is so expensive for me to buy here. I started crying. It was such a blessing. I have been rationing one of the mini jars for about a week now and it needs to last a while longer...so that was so amazing. I was so overwhelmed and grateful both to Bethany and her family, but also to God...because He knows exactly what we need. Then, later, my Korean family came in and brought me a roll of sushi! Mmmm... apparently it's more of a rice roll with veggies and meat and seaweed, but it's really good. What a funny but much appreciated gift. Today was so interesting because I knew it was Children's Day in Costa Rica, but I had no idea how big of a deal it was. It turned out that I didn't really have to teach all day. We played games, ate pizza, popcorn, ice cream, candy, and jello with condensed milk on top (a delicacy here). It was a lot of fun and something I totally did not expect! But flexibility is of utmost importance here :). And finally, I've included some pictures of one of my favorite Costa Rican fruits. It's called Rambutan and it's like a big raspberry with spikes. You break it open and inside is this gooey substance that you eat. The consistency is pretty odd...but the taste is great. I think it's funny, so I thought you might get a kick out of it! :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Mmmmmm, peanut butter. Glad to hear you are working your way through cooking. Now you know why I eat out all the time :)