Sorry I haven’t posted in several days…I went to the beach! On Friday, we celebrated CR Independence Day, so my students did a parade for the whole school. They banged on drums and different instruments. Everyone loved it. Right after school I had my first parent open house,
which is a whole different story when half of the parents don’t speak English. Right after school, we left for Manuel Antonio, a beach on the Pacific side of Costa Rica. We took a five hour bus ride through the mountains and rainforest and came to the beach. It was beautiful. On Saturday, we went to the rainforest and saw all kinds of neat plants and animals. I saw monkeys, sloths, and some different iguanas and things. It was really neat. Then we went to beach on the edge of the rainforest, and that was beautiful. While we were laying there though, a raccoon came out of the forest and took off with all of our food! We threw suntan lotion at it, but it still made off with a
whole bag of tortilla chips. I was ticked. The beaches were beautiful and the food was pretty good. We always eat a little hole in the wall places that don’t look very clean, but we’re pretty poor, so we take what we can get J. The funniest part of our trip was the hostel we stayed in. I’ve never experienced a hostel before, so it was interesting. I won’t go into all the details, but the first night was fine. It was just us four and another girl sharing a 14 person room. When we got back from the beach on Saturday night though, we found out that our 14 person room was full of random guys and girls. It was so weird. I felt a little uncomfortable, but what are you going to do? We didn’t bring any valuables, so I wasn’t too worried about my stuff
getting stolen, but I was a little worried about our safety, just sleeping in a room with all these random people we don’t know at all. It was also difficult to share one toilet and one shower between all those people. The view was beautiful though. It was perched in the middle of the rainforest on a mountain overlooking the ocean. And it was $6 a night. I just tried to think of it like camping J. We left on Sunday and made the trip home in the bus. This morning we went to the Independence Day parade. The kids all dress up in native dress and they are so cute. The rest of the day has been spent cleaning our dirty house to no end. I feel as though both our apartment and ourselves are perpetually dirty here, no matter how much you try to clean. Oh well…I kinda like it J. Well I have to go make some dinner…which will obviously consist of some rice concoction because that is pretty much what we eat here. God bless!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment